Tuesday, August 13, 2013

HMS Prince of Wales - Part 4

The hangar without details

If you look at the model there is a great plain area without details in the midship section as you can see on the picture. This part is the hangar. In this hangar the PoW carries her board aircraft type Walrus.

After some research I've found some pictures and drawings of this area. So I decide to try to add some details to the hangar front and to modify the catapult area.

The next photo shows the parts I've used for detailing. For a size comparison I 've placed a 1 Cent coin beside the parts. The upper and the lower parts are showing the parts which I've used as floor plates for the catapult area. The part in the middle I've build to give the plain area of the hangar front a little bit structure. It shows two hangar doors, an entry and some pipes beside the doors.


The parts for detailing
To give some depth to the whole, I've cut out one of the hangar doors before I've put in place the new part for the front.

Hangar door opened
After this I've glued the new part to the hangar, filled the gaps with liquid filler and sanded the whole thing as good as I could.

The following pictures shows the modified hangar front with the new part.

The new hangar front










As next I've done a little modification at the catapult area.

The catapult was not mounted on the cover, but it was incorporated in the deck. That means, the catapult was slightly lower than the deck, only the rails lying above the deck level. But that is not shown on the model. 
 
So I have cut out the required base plates and glued them between the rails of the catapult. Then I filled the gaps with liquid filler and sanded the whole thing a little bit.
 
Bird view of the catapult area
 
As next steps I have to do

                 - a carefully sanding job on these modifications
                 - doing some research
                 - thinking about the next steps and modifications.



With this in mind....




2 comments:

  1. Hola
    Madre mía pues si que te lo estas currando,y le estas dando bien a los detalles.
    Estaré atento
    UN SALUDO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola
    Madre mía pues si que te lo estas currando,y le estas dando bien a los detalles.
    Estaré atento
    UN SALUDO

    ReplyDelete